Sebewaing Beer

The Sebewaing Brewing Company found its roots in Sebewaing, MI in 1880, just 35 years after the establishment of the town. The name first appeared on brews from 1893-1896, having undergone many name changes prior to that. The brewery enjoyed prosperity until prohibition was enacted in Michigan on April 30, 1918.

With the repeal of Prohibition in 1933, the brewery was bought by a group of investors who renamed it from Huron Brewing to Sebewaing. The first batch of beer sold was their “Old Style Beer” in April 1934, followed six months later by their “Old Stock Ale.”

Initially, the Old Style Beer label was decorated with a goose. However in 1940, the brewery president purchased several lion cubs from a traveling circus. He housed the lions in a steel barred cage and traveled around advertising Sebewaing as the King of Beer and Ale. The goose was promptly switched out for a lion on the label, but by 1948 it became difficult to keep and feed the lions, so they were dropped from the brewery and its advertising.

The pheasant that you see on this month’s artwork first appeared in the 1940s on the brewery’s Sport Beer and later on Sebewaing Beer, Sebewaing Bock and Golden Pheasant. The complete artwork from this can was released in 1952 as a second generation label and lasted until 1966.

Sebewaing Brewing Co. Ltd. enjoyed tremendous success from the late 1940s through the early 1960s, when they boasted million dollar sales years! Unfortunately, in 1962 the sitting president retired and sold his stock to an outside interest which ultimately led to the demise of the brewery in 1966.